Friday, October 24, 2014

Be Training like a Pro…Kinda…Part 2

*Caveat: I am not, nor do I think I will ever be an actual professional athlete. That being said, it’s kind of fun to get to train like one.


It’s been a blast to be out here. I know that this is something I'm fortunate to do and I’m glad that months ago I saved and planned these vacation days to take now and spend my peak training days in the heart of IMAZ country. It’s been really good, not only for my training, but also for my psyche to experience all I’ve gotten to experience in the past 8 days.


Days 5-8 have been challenging to say the least. I can’t imagine doing this amount of volume AND holding down a day job. I remember saying to someone the other day that usually when I come out to visit Phoenix I have much more “down time” then I’ve had in this visit. And that’s ok. I’ve been training like a pro, getting my workouts in and eating/sleeping/recovering as best as I can and loving every moment of it.





Day 5 was Tuesday and included a long 4100 yds swim and 2 hour bike. I managed to pull myself up early enough to start the bike when it was still cool, about 7:30am and finished to some amazing blue skies and beautiful desert views. Have I mentioned how awesome bike lanes are around here? After some fuel and rest, I took off for the pool. After my tough workout there, I was walking to my car, tired and hungry, and almost walking into another guy. I totally wasn’t paying attention! That afternoon I took in some good recovery and watched “Gone Girl” with my Dad at a local theater followed by dinner at a great restaurant called the Yard House….lots of good beer samples and a yummy veggie burger on a lettuce bun for my GF tummy! Perfect!





Day 6 included a swim. Just a swim. And I was grateful for it. I knew this day would be lower in volume because of the following day being so intense. I slept in a little bit, went to my swim and caught up on phone calls, emails and things from work. I guess I really can’t fully “stay away” even on vacation! I got a card today in the mail to encourage me in my training! I seriously have some loving peeps! Wednesday evening I stocked up on good food and planned for the next day….it was going to be BIG.


Day 7…...I got up at 4:30am and planned to meet my friend Sean, who I only knew from the IMAZ Facebook group I’m in, to ride the IMAZ bike course. We met at a portion of the course I knew from spectating last year and planned to ride up and down the Beeline, the major portion of the IMAZ bike course. I was warned to be prepared for strong headwinds and at least a few flat tires. This made me nervous to say the least. The sun doesn’t rise around here this time of year until about 6:30am and it was windy when I met Sean at the Shell station at McDowell and Beeline Rd. He had planned for everything and had been there waiting for me since 5:30am! What a guy!


We started out down the road and I immediately got a bit discouraged…..this was literally uphill and windy….AND it went on that way for 11+ miles before we turned around! What the what?!?!? Ugh! Sean was great though….the company and conversation made the time pass quickly. When we turned around to come back down the Beeline, we were going downhill and I made up for the speed I lost on the way up. Good to know. Plus, I’m much happier and a better riding companion when I’m descending. Sean came out with me a bit further and then I was on my own for the rest of the ride. I had 6.5 hours on the schedule, plus a 45 min run after and I finished it all! I turned the average mph off on my Garmin and just rode…..it was good for my mind and my heart to do this. I got out of my head and just rode….must have gone up and down the bike course at least 4 times and in the end I finished that ride….sunburned and all! Very proud of myself, not only for finishing but for getting out of my head and just enjoying the world around me. I kept having Tom Petty’s song in my head:


“Into the great wide open….under the sky so blue….out of the great wide open…..a rebel without a clue.”


Came back home, ran my 45 min in the hottest portion of the day and got more burned. Didn’t care. I finished, had a few drinks with my Dad and got in the hot tub. Gluten free pizza for dinner!


Day 8: 16 miles on the schedule. I wanted to run the IMAZ course again and get in the portions I missed last Sunday. Met my dear friend Jamie at 6am when it was still somewhat cool and she showed me around the “north” portions of the course including Curry Road, which is a steady incline we have to do twice during IMAZ. I was told it’s challenging, especially after swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112, and that’s exactly what I experienced. Wow. Jamie is a killer amazing gal. Met her almost a year ago when we were standing in line to sign up for this madness in 3 weeks and we’ve stayed good friends. So excited for her to cross that line! I ran the course 2 times and Curry Road 2 times especially! Again, glad I know what I'm getting into, even if that won’t make it easier come race day.





I had a 3600 swim this afternoon which was nice to flush out my legs and have one last time at the DC Village Ranch, a place with a great outdoor pool, a place where  I’ll never be able to afford to be a member. Grateful for the 7 day free trial!


Had good chinese with Dad tonight while doing loads of laundry, packing up my bike and getting ready to depart to Columbus at the ass-crack of dawn tomorrow. Again, it’s been good to be out here, somewhat on vacation and somewhat on assignment….I love this area and this part of the country….can’t wait to see what November 16 brings.


I’ve been fortunate to be embraced by both One Multisport and Destination Kona Triathlon Store while here in town. I’ve met people that I know I’ll stay in touch with and I hope that’s indeed the case. Still have 3 weeks until IMAZ which includes more training and active recovery. No matter how things on race day go, I’m going to be embracing the gift of racing and loving the fact that I’m out here racing.


A rebel without a clue. I like that.

Be Training Like a Pro…..Kinda. Be Brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment