Sunday, April 20, 2014

Be Cleanin' off the Cobwebs

Happy Easter! This morning I was planning to meet up with a pal for a scheduled 2 hour bike ride, but plans for my pal fell through and I was left with a dilemma: either I get out the bike trainer and sit in front of the TV for 2 hours, or get over my fears of riding alone and pack myself up, put on some layers and head out to ride in the great outdoors. Not sure how it happened, but I found myself driving up to Alum Creek and planned to do the 17 mile Wendy’s Triathlon route which I suspected if I did it twice, would take me about 2 hours. I’ve done that loop before when I needed a 2 hour ride, so it was decided. How could I be a wimp and ride my bike trainer on a nice day?

I’ve ridden outside multiple times but this would be my first time outside this season, AND my first time riding solo outside this season. Not sure if many of you have been following the news, but there have been MULTIPLE car accidents this past year involving cyclists. Some have been tragically fatal. It seemed at one point that we were hearing about one accident per week. So part of my hesitation was fear…..fear of being in an accident and having that supposed accident happen when I was riding alone. Maybe I was being irrational, but there it is. I’d have to get outside someday though….can’t ride the trainer the whole year.

Check out #CARBIKELOVE on Facebook

While I had read earlier that the winds would be minimal, I had a headwind for various parts of the ride and that’s always tough. I was supposed to pick a route that was somewhat flat and it turns out I forgot how hilly the Wendy’s tri bike course actually is….not crazy hilly, but there were some hills. With the headwind the hills were tough. But all in all for my first ride outside this season, I finished. Slower than I usually am (about avg 16 mph) but I’ll take it.

It felt good to brush off the cobwebs and get out there again. Sometimes it just takes that first time to get back into a groove. I’m not the best at biking alone…..too much time with my thoughts and I can get lonely. But today was ok and the sun was out, which helped.

Looking forward to trying out the new bike too this year….I haven’t told many people about her, but mostly because I’ve still been in shock that I have her. I’m nervous to ride her outside, so again it’ll take jumping right in to get over that. She just seems too pretty…..too pretty to ride. Ha! But this bike and the riding position it will put me in will be great for Ironman Arizona. I’ve saved over 2 years for her…..meet my Kestrel 4000 Pro SL. I think I’ll call her “Killer.”

Sexy :)


Be cleanin’ off the cobwebs. Be Brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment