Saturday, April 19, 2014

Be Remembering

Wow, what a week! After a rough marathon last Sunday (see earlier post) and a medical procedure this week (fun times, but saves my life every time!), the week was rounded out with a friend from college visiting from Virginia. My good friend Carrie Arnold (www.carriearnold.com) and I went to Hope College (www.hope.edu) together and graduated in 2002. Our paths crossed more influentially during the beginning of our senior year, when Carrie was heading into her first residential treatment program for her eating disorder. She has since written 3 books and become an award winning blogger. She’s inspiring and keeps on fighting the good fight. I was honored to have her be selected as a keynote speaker at our Spring Conference this past week and loved being able to host her and catch up! Fun times!

Tragically, on the same night Carrie arrived, I received a difficult phone call. I should preface this by saying that I’ve been honored to put on my “pastor” hat for friends of mine, whether it is officiating weddings, baptising children or even officiating funerals for their loved ones. But up until this week, I hadn’t been called upon in a pastoral capacity FOR a friend of mine who died. It’s totally different. And sad.

I went into shock. I had just spoken to Jeff within the past few days. He was asking about my marathon, as he graduated from OU and Athens, Ohio is his old “stomping” grounds. I’m not sure how I managed to do it, but I tried to start helping my friend who had called me about Jeff explain to his family what needed to happen next. They needed to call a funeral home. They needed to make arrangements. Just as important, they needed to figure out a way to disburse this information to the hundreds of individuals who would want to know….specifically people affiliated with Premier Races, Fleet Feet and Marathoner in Training. Jeff was a catalyst for so many people within my running group and this news would be shocking and sad to many.

Jeff ran so many MIT members in at the Columbus Marathon. So many remember running their first marathon ever with his help

A few of Jeff’s friends and colleagues began getting things in motion and I remained available if needed. While news started to trickle around, I found it challenging to pay attention to anything else. This was a big deal and Jeff meant a lot to a lot of people. He was young, too young, to leave us.  A letter was written and dispersed through the proper communication channels, social media, etc. Reactions were pouring in. Tough stuff.

MIT was a BIG part of Jeff's life


For me, Jeff was a good and dear friend. We chatted often and he was one of those friends who really challenged me and called me out on my crap. We’d bicker at times but then resolve things soon after. It was a nice reminder to me that you can butt heads with someone and still make it to the other side. He supported my athletic endeavors and we planned to race Ironman Arizona together this fall. Jeff “checked in” on me and I appreciated it. He also made sure I knew that my super short hair looked nice too…..at times I think of chopping it off again.

Jeff with his beloved pup Natalie, who passed away a few years ago

At the time being, plans are still in the works for a Celebration of Life service (http://www.schoedinger.com/obituaries/Jeffrey-Glaze/). We’re all grieving and settling into the news. It’s hard to imagine that I won’t be getting those random texts, calls and emails anymore. When I started this blog, Jeff emailed me to say he really liked it. Now I’m writing about Jeff who won’t get to read it anymore. I’m thinking of you Jeff and wishing you peace. You’ll be missed. Be Remembering. Be Brave.

Jeff and other MIT friends at the wedding, July 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment