Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Be Chill: IMAZ Part 1

Surprising enough, I found myself to be somewhat “relaxed” and not uber anxious about leaving on Thursday, November 13 for Phoenix, AZ. I had gotten my bike shipped up already and was working hard to pack up my necessities, was finishing up details at work and making sure everything was done for me while gone for the Ironman. On November 13, I was ready to leave!







Arrived in Phoenix on Thursday November 13 and drove up to my parents house to see them and settle in. On Friday November 14 I was set to drive down to the Ironman site to get my registration materials, etc, for the race. This race was EPIC already. Not only had I somehow earned bib #179 (Jon Blais’ number, www.waronals.org), but I had also won entry for my parents, brothers and coach to have VIP access for the weekend. I had planned my entire recent year around this event, had trained here almost a month earlier for extra security and was ready to go. It was time. I was excited to race this with the AZ friends I had met a year ago while we all waited in line to register for this event AND the friends I had recently met from Ohio who were coming out to do the race also! It had been a long year spectating IM races and it was finally my turn!






Lucky me! I got to pick up my coach Carrie on Friday evening at the airport and bring her home with me, to spectate/coach me and another JustTri athlete on race day. She also has some connections with Base Salt, which was a good company to learn about and utilize for race day. Was good to have her around and it helped keep me grounded. Saturday November 15 we packed up at my parents’ place and headed down to Tempe, where the race was situated. I had planned a year ago to have a hotel room on the night before the race and after the race just for convenience and Carrie was going to stay with me those nights. After getting my bike checked out and put into transition, I took my T1 and T2 bags to transition as well and set them out. So nice to be #179! All done!

We checked into the hotel and I literally just became a bum. Tried to just be “ok” with nothing to do and rest before the next big day.  Got to talk to some good friends who kept me busy and distracted during the day, my younger brother from DC came across the country to spectate with the rest of my family AND we had food in the room for dinner! Carrie and I just chilled and it was great. I didn’t need to run back down to the expo or buy any Ironman materials yet….was planning on getting that “finisher” jacket I wanted to badly the day after the race!  I felt totally ready and excited for the next day.  



Sunday November 16…...early wake up!

Be Chill. Be Brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment